See more information on the SHAPE course via Rick Warren’s site. It’s SO important that people understand that every time we talk about “Ministry”, that we see this in the widest context… it’s not about what role you can find to do within your physical church, but what God has designed you for in the global sense, to be the best: physically, emotionally and spiritually!
- S: Spiritual Gifts (which have you been given?)
- H: Heart Motivation (what do you love to do?)
- A: Abilities & Talents (appreciate natural talents you have)
- P: Personality (God-given temperament)
- E: Experiences (how have you been prepared for your unique ministry?)
My Score: S
Having undertaken an 138 question survey, we each produced a unique list of those specific ‘gifts’ that we excel at (recognisable in my past history)
- Leadership (24/24)
The special ability the Holy Spirit gives to recognise and communicate the vision of God’s purposes, and to accomplish it through the motivation and direction of a group of people.
- Hospitality (23/24)
The special ability the Holy Spirit gives to make people feel welcome, accepted and safe in their home and in a variety of settings.
- Organisation (21/24)
The special ability the Holy Spirit gives to perceive the way an organisation works, and to conceive and implement procedures that maximise the church’s ability to function, and release people – especially leaders – to fulfil their calling/gifting.
My Score: H
- I am motivated to lead/be in charge; help; persevere.
- I would most like to encourage others to be the best they can be (but they need to be willing to engage with me).
- I would most like to help those who want to help themselves, and who want to learn
- The issues I feel strongly about are Education and Communications Literacy
- I am therefore likely to be able to make the most significant contribution tutoring/mentoring in groups.
My Score: A
- I have particular experience in research, teaching and writing, and project management.
- I have specialised abilities in researching, managing, (teach/interview/write/promote?).
- I am most likely to be used in Christian Service in social groups, training in digital communications.
My Score: P
For this exercise, I thought that I would come out as PEOPLE/UNSTRUCTURED, but I came out as TASK/UNSTRUCTURED (maybe that explains why I haven’t seen enough of my friends, as I always feel that I have to have completed my task before I can go out!), although to be fair although I was ‘maximum’ unstructured’, I was borderline on people/task, and some questions could have fallen either side!
TASK/UNSTRUCTURED people like:
- General guidelines
- Helps wherever needed
- Likes tangible tasks.
Require roles with a degree of creativity and adaptability in order to produce the best results.
PEOPLE/UNSTRUCTURED people like:
- Spontaneous situations
- Relates well to others
- Very conversational
- Tends to be flexible
Require roles that give you the freedom to respond to people spontaneously.
My Score: E
A great number of experiences have shaped my spiritual journey, and the ones that came to mind on the day (and I am prepared to share publicly) include:
- Billy Graham Mission
- Taking voluntary redundancy, going travelling, and learning to lose some of the expectations of others (not finished yet)
- Going on retreat (taking time out in any way)
- Oak Hall leadership
- Social group leaderships (I throw a great party, given half a chance!)
- Academic world – skills, enthusiasm & challenge
I would like to challenge others to take time out from formal ministry roles, and not to get stuck in roles. We need to find roles to fit people, rather than people to fit roles!
I just love to encourage people to share, and try out new things!!!
We are given the opportunity to ask others for feedback. All comments are moderated, so if you want to say something off the record, or I’m not comfortable publishing it, it will be held – but I will see it!
- What spiritual gifts do you think I might have?
(3 from: Organisation, Celibacy, Counselling, Deliverance, Discernment, Encouragement, Evangelism, Faith, Giving, Healing, Hospitality, Intercession, Interpretation of tongues, Leadership, Mercy, Missionary, Pastoring, Prophecy, Service, Teaching, Tongues, Voluntary Poverty, Wisdom)
- What do you think I’m particularly good at doing?
- What areas of my like seem to be ‘fruitful’?
- What 3 words best sum up my personality?
- What qualities do you particularly admire?
- What can you see stopping/hindering me using God-given gifts?
Life Explorer, HE/learning, Senior Lecturer in Digital Marketing (Manchester Metropolitan University), Christian, cultural history, WW2 posters: Keep Calm & Carry On, digital world, coach, ENFP, @digitalfprint, @ww2poster #digitalparenting