Well, you know me, I like to collect qualifications, but this one is pretty much compulsory nowadays within Universities, to become a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I started the course in February 2009, and have found all of the taught sessions really interesting, particularly once we start hitting “how do students learn”?, but in teaching so much, am not getting a huge amount of time to read around the subjects I’m doing, or complete my assignments (too busy marking other peoples!). So, what do I need to achieve, and by when, to become a FHEA?!
The Practice of Teaching in Higher Education
I attended all the courses on this last semester, arranged my mentor, kept a reflective journal and was observed in 3 teaching sessions (now that’s an interesting experience!). So now I “just” need to complete the 4000 word portfolio of practice! If I can do it for 5th March 2010, I could finish the entire course this year, otherwise it’ll be 25th September 2010!
|The Practice of Teaching in HE
Learning and Teaching Portfolio (4000 words), organised/indexed for reader, with appendices
|Initial Needs Analysis & Contextual Overview (1000 rough words, to reduce to 500)How current teaching position relates to:
- Previous Experience
- Developmental Needs
- Rationale for 3 observed sessions
- Plan for completing PGCLTHE
|Evaluation & Reflection on Teaching (1200 words)
- Evaluation/reflection on programmes of teaching in which involved.
- Critical reflection on 3 observed teaching sessions.
- Reflections: external comments, emerging understanding of effective teaching & how students learn, using generic/subject specific pedagogic lit.
- Own judgement (expectations of competence/points for action): peer feedback, student feedback/module evaluations, literature.
- Detailed session plans
- Resource material from observed sessions
- Comments by external observers
- Student evaluations
|Description, Analysis & Evaluation of Assessment Activities (600 words)
- D, A, E of AA have participated in
- How contributed to provision of feedback to assist student learning
- Assessment results (formal/informal) – aid evaluation of effectiveness as a teacher.
- ANALYSE/EVALUATE more than DESCRIBE, demonstrating understanding of assessment design & operation.
- Broad overview of focus on one specific element
- Student feedback
- Pedagogic literature
- Appendices can include:
- Limited examples of assessments you have set.
- Module results sheets
- Examples of feedback on marking
|Small Scale Learning & Teaching Project (1200 words)
- Design/carry out small scale project, developing a specific aspect of teaching.
- Theoretical understanding/practical implementation.
- Identify project through discussions with tutor/mentor.
- Developmental as an individual
- Direct practical application to subject area.
- Convincing rationale for need to change/develop practice
- Underpinned by theory/literature
- Student/College feedback
- Literature (subject/pedagogy)
|Agreed with Yaz: Focus in the area of CHOICE, affecting motivation, affecting CHOICE in engaging with seminars, etc. as a project!
|Reflection on Learning and Development Activities (500 words)
- Personal reflection on:
- Own learning on the unit
- Other developmental activities undertaken to support teaching whilst on the programme
- Action Plan for CPD beyond the PG
- Appendices can include:
- Review & Development Meeting plan.
Examining Professional Practice
For February 2010, I need to have completed:
Part 1: Oral/Poster presentation, relevant professional enquiry, at small L&T event with others on course. (60%)
Part 2: Critical reflection on the feedback from other colleagues/tutors. 1500 words (40%)
No Assignment yet agreed
Using IT for Innovation in Learning
For April 2010, I need to complete:
Resource package, electronic or text, “suitable to meet the learning needs of an identified group of students, and a report justifying its design in relation to theoretical understandings of student learning”. Contextualise how understanding/skills have developed, and demonstrate how utility of the resource will be judged. Report 2-4k
See p.18 for Guidelines/Criteria
Agreed with David: Evaluation of SkillsNet Project, including sessions with staff/students for feedback of the website.
I am also sitting in on “Context”, which has a lot to do with curriculum design, but don’t see the need to add another assignment to my list.