- In preparation (2019?) ‘“Keep Calm and Carry On: The People’s War in Posters: British Home Front Propaganda Posters of the Second World War’, conversion of the PhD thesis to a museum-appropriate/academic book (under discussion).
- Under contract (2017) “Keep Calm and Carry On: The Truth Behind the Poster’, Imperial War Museum
- February 2014: “Raising Children in a Digital Age: Enjoying the Best, Avoiding the Worst”, Lion Hudson
- 2017: ‘Digital Culture’, for Christian Handbook of Abuse, Addiction and Difficult Behaviour, edited by Brendan Geary and Jocelyn Bryan, published by Kevin Mayhew (2nd Edition) (forthcoming)
- 2015: ‘Programming Collaborative Learning‘, for Exploring Collaborative Learning in Media Education, edited by Marcus Leaning, published by Informing Science Press
- 2014: ‘Researching Christianity in a Digital Age’, Social Media in Social Research: Blogs on Blurring the Boundaries, NatCen Social Research
- 2008: ‘Posters as Propaganda’ (with David Bownes), for ‘London Transport Posters: A Century of Art and Design’, edited by Oliver Green and David Bownes, commissioned by the London Transport Museum (Lund Humphries)
- 2006: ‘Docs on the Box – TV Medical Dramas’, Chapter for ‘Playing God: Ethics and Technology in Medical Dramas‘, commissioned by the Damaris Trust (Damaris Culturewatch, May 2006)
Material that follows refers to my academic writing. Any other writing I have been commissioned to write, or quoted in, can be found on my Press page.
Academic Journal Articles
- In preparation (2017): ‘The civilian “Problem” of Venereal Disease in wartime – Did posters offer a solution?’ (to be submitted to 20th Century British History)
- 2015: ‘MediaLit: Engaging Faith and Media in a Digital Age’, The Proceedings of the European Conference on Social Media
- 2014: ‘The Digital Age: A Challenge for Christian Discipleship?‘, The Proceedings of the European Conference on Social Media
- 2013: (With Rush, D.) ‘Experience of Developing Twitter-based Communities of Practice in Higher Education’, Research in Learning Technology (May)
- 2012: ‘The Renaissance of Keep Calm and Carry On’, The Poster Journal (Vol 2: 1) (July), pp7-23
- 2011: ‘The Ministry of Food The Imperial War Museum, 12 February 2010–3 January 2011’, The Poster, (January, Vol 1:2, 215-230)
- 2011: Developing a Community of Practice in Blended Learning: theory, practice and reflection Capture (April, Vol 3, 29-36)
- 2009: Jessop, T, Edwards, S. & Lewis, B Disabled perspectives on web accessibility, Capture, (November, Vol 2, 50-57)
- 2007: “‘Careless Talk Costs Lives’: The Government’s Information Security Campaign on the Home Front”, in Everyone’s War: The Journal of the Second World War Experience Centre (No.15, Spring/Summer 2007)
- 2010 – 2015: The Big Bible Project, CODEC (Director)
- 2011 – 2014: New Media Centre of Excellence (Content writer)
- 2005: The Art of War, The National Archives (major content contributor)
- A full portfolio of online work can be found at Digital Fingerprint
Academic Book Reviews
- 2017: Franco ‘Bifo’ Berardi And: Phenomenology of the End (2015) for The Sociological Review (Forthcoming, April)
- 2015: Heidi Campbell (eds) Digital Religion (2013) for International Journal of Public Theology (June, 9.2: DOI 10.1163/15697320-12341395)
- 2015: Elizabeth Dresher Click 2 Save (2012) for Journal of Religion, Media & Digital Culture (January)
- 2012: Tami Heim & Toni Birdsong Sticky Jesus (2010), for Journal of Religion, Media & Digital Culture (December)
- 2012: Elizabeth Dreshner Tweet if You Heart Jesus (2011), for Journal of Religion, Media & Digital Culture (May)
- 2008: Lucy Noakes Women and the British Army: War and the Gentle Sex 1907-1948 (2006), for Journal of Contemporary British History (March)
My work has been referenced in the following (known) texts, see also Google citation index:
- Barter Books History of Keep Calm (references my undergraduate dissertation as the origin of the Keep Calm Story)
- Wang, S., and Schwarz, W.H.E., “Icon of Chemistry: The Periodic System of Chemical Elements in the New Century”, in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 2–14. See footnote 27.
- Sladen, C., ‘Wartime Holidays and the ‘Myth of the Blitz” in Cultural and Social History (2005: 2). See p.224
- Sladen, C., ‘Don’t panic!’ in Oxford Magazine, No. 231, 4th Week, Michaelmas Term, 2004, See pp.3-4
- Sladen, C. ‘Holidays at Home in the Second World War’ in Journal of Contemporary History Vol. 37 Issue 01 (1 January 2002). See p.68
- Aulich, J., War Posters: Weapons of Mass Communication, 2007 (Imperial War Museum/Thames & Hudson) as a ‘Useful Website’.
‘The Planning, Design and Reception of British Home Front Propaganda Posters of the Second World War’, University of Winchester, June 2004. (Passed without corrections. Examiners Lord Asa Briggs, Dr Adrian Smith).