Personal pages are the ideal place to experiment with different techniques, colours, and generally ‘play’, although I still want my pages to look good, be informational about me, easy to navigate, and reasonably fast loading.
Hosted by freenetname (now madasafish), my ISP, comes with 100MB of hosting. In November 2008 I gave my site (in existence since 1998) a quick makeover to make it look a bit fresher, more relevant, and removed many of the space-hogging photos. The initial driver for putting up the site was to provide photos for friends and family scattered across the UK/around the world, but with blogs and Facebook this has become less necessary, and I will remove all aside from a small selection of images (reducing some privacy issues)
The site is designed to provide:
- the photos at the top give a quick drbexl-bio of my varied interests
- an ‘extended CV’ to support any job applications;
- a place to keep a record of a selection of sites in relation to my hobbies and interests;
- a space for highlighting e-campaigns;
- links to other sites, including blogs/Facebook; and
- my current ‘wishlist’ for things I am saving up for.
With each version of the site (first launched in 1997), I maintain a similar colour theme throughout, and there’s rarely a need to start from scratch at any point. I re-use information where necessary, restructure according to my new plans, and add whatever my current interests are. In January 2009, to go with my new, more-positive outlook on life, I added a stronger purple-ness to the site!
The site is built with Dreamweaver, using a table structure (will shortly be re-constructed using CSS), and editable regions within a template.