- Do we need it or is it fancy hype?
- How do we use it?
- What are the apps of the future?
Most of us use it every day without even realising it…e.g. Facebook
Social software treat triads of people differently than pairs… needs more collaboration features…
Social software treats groups as first class objects in the system – more important than individuals
Richter and Koch, 2007
So, what now…
- 3 types
- ID & Network management – rep of users & their ties within the internet
- Communication – enable management of comms between users
- Info management? find, rate & manage online contents.
- [Practika – add delicious to Twitter, etc.]
- Is it new? what has changed? Much communication was 1-2-1 (telephone/letters), whereas radio/newspapers (1-many), now many-many
- Is social important?
- Attention – common & selective
- Emotion – better memory with attachment (e.g. remember Twin Towers, not everyday activities – also a shared/common experience)
- Possible online – to get emotionally attached when not even here – online emotionally
- Motivation – cannot be created, but be supported…
- Community – medically important & part of human nature.
- Community – the most powerful factor affecting learning.
- Structures of motivation and rewarding within the human brain are activated during cooperative behaviour.
- Scientifically proven t0 improve brain strength
- #Social Software supports searching and finding information from learners – can ask the network…
- Enables learners to contribute personal expereinces & opinions to formal learning content
- Emails not adequate medium for comms & knowledge exchange
- Knowledge can’t always be formalised in docs. (e.g. phones, rarely learn through manual, but through learning from others who already know how to do it…)
- Communication not document management – best info silo can’t solve most of the described info problems… ‘real’ experts not able to formalise their exetensive knowledge…
- Learner Preferences – creator, analyst, perceptor, organiser, constructor, ?
- Augmented Reality – “layer” (using geolocation – e.g. picks up tag clouds from surrounded Twitter account, etc.)
Video linked to by @jamesclay in session.
- Autotagging of photos
- Voice detection (good for disabilites)
- Time in virtual form
- WILD wireless interaction learning device – mobile device to students, students indicate too fast/slow/don’t understand, polls, etc.
- Social Network Visualisation – Facebook plugin
- www.gapminder.org rescale data visually
- Serious games 0 e.g darfurisdying.com
- Friend Mapper – just locates those people who you are connected with…