I last blogged a couple of weeks ago, when I’d been sent home, breathless, without treatment. I had hoped that a treatment break would mean that I felt amazing, but, although my skin has cleared up a lot, and a lot of sensation has returned to my hands/fingers (not all!), mostly I still feel super sleepy/de-energised, and we’re undecided if my breathing is improving…

Really appreciate those who wait for these updates, or send queries without expectation of reply – several days behind on messaging this week .. so here it comes:

Alongside cancer taking over my life, I have managed to do an interview with UCB on cyberbullying, had a welfare chat with work, started experimenting with short opinion videos on Tik-Tok, pre-recorded with The Hopeful Activists (re grief and hope) – which should be out next Friday, had my car serviced, my house alarm serviced, had an overdue opticians appointment (yes, my sight is worse, probably partly due to age, and partly due to chemo!), put away my large COOK delivery (in amongst other house tasks), and had some lovely time with my bubble. I’ve also attended a scarf-tying workshop, listened to a session on ‘Hybrid Church’ hosted by Fidge, and took part in a panel alongside Rev Pam Smith and Rev Dr Pete Phillips – also on ‘Hybrid Church’…. and yeah, am likely spending Christmas in Manchester.

Treatment Date 16?

Last Monday I went back in for treatment, but we knew that if my breathing was still a problem, I’d be sent to see the on-call oncologist. Obviously my COVID test had come back negative, and I exhibit no symptoms anyway, but that had had to be crossed off the list of possibles… Was it going to be treatment 15, delayed, or…

My bloods were taken (as they take at least an hour to process anyway, and if treatment was to go ahead, we wanted to make sure those were done/we had the information). I then went to talk to the oncologist … he said he could see that I was ‘visibly breathless’, and although it could be fatigue from the treatment, something psychosomatic, he wanted to check in case it was a blood clot on the lungs, so said I needed a CT-AP.


Collecting my things, we trotted off to the Ambulatory Care Unit, where I was put into a chair, more questions/forms/people introduced to me (always quite overwhelming), and they said although I have a port in for my bloods, outside of the oncology unit, no one is trained to use them – so a cannula had to go in. I’m SO hard to cannulate – so they sent their top person – after trying on the back of my hand, he got it in on the inside of my wrist (yeah, as uncomfortable as you’d think, spent all afternoon asking how soon it could be taken out!). I was then sent back to the oncology ward to have some more blood taken (from my port), as oncologist wanted to see how fast I’m metabolising my Clexane blood thinners…

Back to the ACU, popped into a different chair (with some lovely NHS soup, sandwiches and ice cream), until the CT scanner was ready for me – the cannula was used to feed the dye into me so they can light up different parts of my body (I know, such a medical explanation!)… before being guided back to the ACU to await the results (and yes, everyone’s on their own, there’s lots of safety procedures before going in/out of different areas of the hospital). Bearing in mind that I got to hospital about 10.30am, it was gone 8pm before the results of the scan came back – I didn’t have a blood clot on my lung ‘so that’s the good news, but you do have some fluid on your lower-left lung’ (pleural effusion).

I recorded this when I got home (and had just climbed the stairs, so my breathing was particularly bad) – before I crashed into bed (the following morning could hear a squeak of protest from my lungs):


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Bex Lewis (@drbexl)


Tuesday was mostly about sleep, housework, watching the webinar, and reality TV:


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Bex Lewis (@drbexl)

Wednesday: The Christie

After much faffing around in the morning, Andrew picked me up to take to the Christie – as I’d sent quite a few challenging questions to my oncologist, and as I can’t take people in, at least I’d have a friendly face (and no need to drive) at the end. A lot of waiting at the Christie – bloods were done fast (and the nurse remembered me from when I’d come in for my new tumour diagnosis in July – once she’d seen past my purple wig)… and then it was all about waiting to speak to the oncologist – appointment was 3.30pm – I think it was gone 5pm by the time I went in (and the waiting room was v empty)!


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Bex Lewis (@drbexl)

Forgot to press record (can be useful when on own and trying to capture notes as well as have a conversation to listen back afterwards – for private use only, obviously!), but we talked through quite a few things (maybe not everything on my list, so I’m trying to talk to nurses to get more of that) but:

The last couple of days have been busy, and I’m seeking to chat a bit more with some of the nurses about some of the questions that still feel unanswered. I have oncology ward nurses, Macmillan palliative care nurses, district nurses, specialist secondary breast care nurses at the Christie, the oncologist, the GP, the pharmacy team … lots of people to talk to – though sometimes it feels like you’ve being bounced between them!

Palliative Care

If you think that palliative care is all about ‘end of life’, please watch this so you have a better idea. I know that I am being treated with ‘palliative intent’:


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Bex Lewis (@drbexl)

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.