Encarta defines posters as “mass-produced advertisements or announcements, usually printed on large sheets of paper, for public display. Posters ordinarily consist of a colorful picture or illustration along with a short identifying text or trademark. They usually have a commercial purpose-to advertise products or publicize entertainment events-but they also occasionally appear as public education announcements, propaganda instruments, or pure works of art with no overt message.”
Purchasing Vintage Posters
You can purchase vintage posters from the following sellers below. If you wish to gain an idea of what a poster is worth, please see the information on poster valuing. You can also find out more about poster sizes and printing methods.
- Onslow’s Auction House, London
- Miscellaneous Man (Rare vintage posters and old advertising ephemera. 1870’s ~ 1960’s.)
- Chisholm Larsson Gallery, New York
- icollector.com: Forthcoming Poster Auctions
- Rennies: Specialists in British art and Design
- International Poster Gallery
- Christie’s, South Kensington
- Vintage Poster Works
- Vintage Poster Art
- Kiki Werth, Vintage British Posters
- Antiques: Vintage Posters
- Rare Posters: Antique & Vintage Posters, including war, travel and advertising
- John Campbell Vintage Posters
Please contact me if you sell vintage posters and wish to be listed here.
Mass Communications Academic, @MMUBS. British Home Front Propaganda posters as researched for a PhD completed 2004. In 1997, unwittingly wrote the first history of the Keep Calm and Carry On poster, which she now follows with interest.