I like this resource looking at managing and protecting children’s privacy online. As they say ‘better to hear it from a parent than learn it from a stranger or God-knows-who online’. As I wrote in Raising Children in a Digital Age, conversation is key in managing your child’s use of digital (rather than burying your head in the sand in the face of all the terrifying media stats).
- Don’t rely on the internet and the government for regulation of the issues.
- Understand that children’s privacy is an issue, but that there is plenty that you can do about it:
- Follow and friend your kids
- Don’t use social logins on untrusted sites
- Learn how to manage privacy settings on:
- Devices, including Android, iPhone, web browsers
- Platforms including Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, and Tumblr
- Managing ID theft protection
- Reviews parental control software
- Using a VPN
- Anonymising your child’s content
- What kind of information you can collect on children
- Leaving a digital trail
Read the full article here.